- You can use heat styling tools to get your new growth in a stretched state. Such as a blow dryer with a comb attachment or a paddle brush. Another option is to flat iron your new growth. I used to do this once I got a few weeks away from getting a relaxer touch-up.
- 1 How can I stretch my relaxer without breaking it?
- 2 How can I straighten my new growth?
- 3 What happens if you stop relaxing your hair?
- 4 What temperature should I straighten my relaxed hair?
- 5 How long does it take to grow out relaxer?
- 6 How do you moisturize new relaxed hair?
- 7 How often should you get a relaxer touch up?
- 8 How many times should I relax my hair in a year?
How can I stretch my relaxer without breaking it?
Here are my 10 tips for having a successful relaxer stretch.
- Fully detangle. Detangling is essential.
- Cleanse often. Cleansing is essential for healthy hair.
- Deep condition. This is a must.
- Moisturize often. It’s important we keep our hair moisturized.
- Incorporate protein.
- Work in sections.
- Manipulate less.
- Wrap nightly.
How can I straighten my new growth?
Blow-dry your new hair growth to straighten it. Spray wet hair with a heat protectant spray, then run a blow dryer with a comb attachment through the new hair growth until it is thoroughly straight. Work with one-inch thick sections using a 1500- to 1800-watt blow dryer.
What happens if you stop relaxing your hair?
No lye relaxers can still harm the scalp if left on long or applied on to the scalp instead of the hair. Chemicals need to be avoided when there are other underlying problems with your scalp. Many clients who stop relaxing their hair who have flaky scalp, notice less itching and dryness once they stop using relaxers.
What temperature should I straighten my relaxed hair?
I like to set my flat iron anywhere between 350-400 degrees. Pass the flat iron over your hair slow and steady. The slower you go, the better the heat will penetrate into the strands giving your hair that shiny smooth straight look!
How long does it take to grow out relaxer?
Whether you decide to do a big chop or gradually grow out a relaxer, it’s going to take at least three to four months to start to see real change. For some, it may be a full year before you’re completely chemical-free.
How do you moisturize new relaxed hair?
With weeks worth of new growth, it’s always best to chose a moisture rich conditioner that is thick in consistency. Using a heat source i.e. hooded dryer, heating cap or steamer would be beneficial as well. The heat will help raise your cuticles allowing the deep conditioner to penetrate further into the strands.
How often should you get a relaxer touch up?
If you relax your hair at home or go to a stylist, the recommended time that most agree on is every eight weeks between touch-ups. This gives you enough new growth to apply the relaxer to; your new growth or virgin hair may vary in length from 1/2 inch to 1 inch.
How many times should I relax my hair in a year?
“I recommend anywhere from 8-10 weeks on average for touch-ups,” says Wauchope. While eight weeks between touch-ups is recommended, some may feel the need to apply relaxers more frequently.